Well, we had a "Mommy Holiday" this weekend- all town yardsales. Yes, in our home All Town Yardsale weekend is a bi-annual holiday! It is a tradition in the making. Each fall and spring the town of Hannibal has an offical all town yardsale day. What is all town yardsales, you ask? It is a the weekend when there are tons of yardsales and the paper publishes a map of the city listing them all by zones. For the past 3 my mom has come and went along. This time my mother-in-law joined in and I think will be in attendance from now on. We had a really fun time.
My husband seriously laughs at me. Friday morning I go and get a paper. Then I get out colored markers and mark which ones open on Friday & which ones don't open till Saturday. Then I rank which ones sound the best & make a plan for which ones to hit first. We get up stinking early to be there when the open at 7 a.m. There is some serious yard sale competition in this town!
Here were some of the great buys (& memories) this time around:
-$8 A Little Tykes Car (that you can ride in-good thing the Dora car is highly fought over on the day I have extra kids at my house)
-$2 A Dora riding toy (Grace has already got my money's worth she has "rode" everywhere since Saturday refusing to walk around our home)
-$20 Carseat (For Jeremy's Father's Day gift so he can have his own since Grace has been wanting to "Go with Daddy")
-$12 A Leap Frog Learning Pad & 7 Books (what fun!)
-Free Uncontrolable Laughter (Okay gotta explain this one. While Charlene and I hit a yardsale my mom stayed in the car with the girls. When I opened the door to the van I almost gagged it smelled horrible. While we were gone Grace had an accident. She said I potty. I toot- Uh oh- I poop. Oh, and did she all over everything! My poor mother trying to clean her up. She sported some princess pj's that were purchased at a previous yardsale for the remainder of the outing)
-Spare Change (My mother-in-law brought a whole bag. Which was great for picking up cheap items that cost less than a dollar. Uh Oh again- she spilled the whole thing all over some person's garage floor. Needless to say it went everywhere!)
What a wonderful way to spend a Saturday morning. Did I mention I basically have my girls entire summer wardrobe between what has been handed down to us and what we found at yardsales? God is good!!
2 comments:
I love city-wide rummage sale day!!! I always go, but I call it "baby heaven" because there is baby stuff everywhere so I'm excited to go this year!!!
What fun! My mother-in-law would be in heaven!
Post a Comment